Feb 13, 2009

Moving On Up… To the East Side!

I am so siked right now. 2009 has, thus far, been good to me in so many different ways.
Though I have not jumped out of the roof with sales, I have made great ground coverage with exposure.


One day, as I always do, I was in the forum section of Etsy.com’s Business Topics. I found a thread where one seller had seen their sales rise due to a press release in their local newspaper. I was amazed by it personally, not because I don’t think that seller was worthy but because hey that’s FREE advertising! So I contacted that seller and asked for a little assistance on how my press release should be look, feel and sound. After a day I finally got mines down on paper. My next step was to find out who to send it to. When I called my local newspaper, The Journal News, I was shocked to get an email and phone call reply that said, “We are interested in doing a story piece on you and your cards, please let us know when you are available…”

You can image how shocked I was. I was siked…


Long story short I contacted them back and a few days later they were at my home and 2 after that I was in the ‘Life & Styles’ section of the paper plus had a small piece on their blog. I was totally happy with just that, even if nothing else happened this year. It’s not everyday a small-small business man gets a 2 page piece in the paper and not making a $100,000 a year. *That article brought in a few sales and an email from the local news station, News 12, editor/producer. Now that’s when I hit the roof, because I thought maybe the next I would be struck by lighting. I mean like so many goods things at one time…It was weird for me. They said they wanted to do a piece on me for Valentine’s Day. Of course I said heck yeah…Well the next week Tuesday, February 10 they came to my home and later that night I was on the 10 to 1030 pm slot, with a few other local shops but I was there and so were my cards. It was amazing and such a joy to know I was getting the exposure I so desperately needed and felt I deserved. *I have not gotten any orders from that yet but I am hopeful.


My point here is that no matter as long you try, be patient and work hard, things will happen. My new motto, which is old but I changed the meaning, is P.U.S.H. ‘Push Until Something Happens’ you have to keep pushing yourself and never quit on yourself, because if you quit on you then you can’t expect anyone else to stand by your side while you sit around feeling down and out.

8 comments:

SleightGirl said...

That's so great!!! Congratulations!

BlenderBach said...

Fantastic advise and congratulations on your awesome exposure!

Audrey said...

Good for you!! Exposure is always a good thing.

swanriverstone said...

YES!!!! you go Lamar! I am soooo happy for you:-)

keeping on Pushing !!

Ny

The Stewart Stuff said...

Oh my gosh! That is too cool! I would be adding that to all of my listing and my shop announcement..."as featured in ___
newspaper and on ___ news!" Milk it for all it's worth! Way to go!!!
-10oneworld

Michelle said...

so totally cool... way to go.. hmm .. if you get famous I am going to have to get that sailboat card back from my father in law and frame it. Thank you for sharing all this.. it is great to be reminded to keep Pushing.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Great motto, and so true!

Melissa @ thingsinstuff said...

thats great,congrats!!